It is Sentiment Saturday time. I’m excited to be sharing projects using the Unity Stamp Company sentiment kits. Today, it’s all about creating some pretty amazing backgrounds using alcohol inks and foil.
Featured Stamp Set
Assemble This! Video
I’ve created a quick video tutorial on how this card was made. You can watch it below or on YouTube.
Alcohol ink… this beauty is making a comeback. I will admit, it took me a bit of time to jump back on this bandwagon. Once I took that leap and added the supplies to my stash, I haven’t looked back. It is so much fun to play with this medium. It doesn’t take skill or talent. It just takes the proper supplies.
I have another post with more tips and tricks if you are interested. This is my second go around so I have a few more details to share. I just love how different each background turns out… every single time.
Here are the steps to recreate this card:
- Start with a standard size A2 card (4.25″ x 5.5″) card and cover with black cardstock.
- Trim a piece of Yupo paper down to about the same size as your card (4.25″ x 5.5″). Place it on a glass, craft mat or protected surface. Alcohol ink will stain any porous surface. I use gloves because it will stain your hands, nails and nail polish as well.
- Using a mix of blending solution and alcohol inks, drip in an alternating pattern onto paper. As you add each, they will interact and separate from each other creating rings. If you would like to minimize the rings, use something to blow the inks into each other. I use my Ranger Spritzer but you could use anything as a substitute (such as a straw or any squeeze bulb instrument). Keep layering and blowing the ink until you are happy with your background.
- Let it dry just a bit, but not completely. You want to leave some sticky areas. Lay some Deco Foil over the top, rub and then lift. The sticky areas will grab the foil and create a beautiful marble, sparkly effect.
- Once the background has dried, die cut into a scallop rectangle. Adhere to the front of the card.
- Emboss the sentiment in gold embossing powder on vellum. Trim down to a rectangle. Pop up on the card using foam adhesive hidden behind the letters.
- Emboss the smaller sentiment in white on black cardstock. Trim down and pop up on the sentiment.
- Move this card around in all directions and notice how it catches the light and how amazing your alcohol ink background turned out.
Thanks for joining me today. I hope you are inspired by today’s project. If you create something, I’d love to see. Join us in the Unity Show & Tell Facebook group to share your card and tag me.
Unity Stamp Company usually has a new sale almost EVERY week. Check the website for details & freebies. Stamp sets go on and off sale all the time. Just add the stamp set to your wishlist, if not on sale this week, so you get a great deal.
Affiliate Links are used when available at no additional cost to you.